End Your Road Trip in Cairns
The Sydney to Cairns drive is a 2,650 km rewarding adventure. It includes the Sydney to Gold Coast drive – the Hunter Valley wine region, rugged coastlines, surf beaches, dive spots, the beautiful waterways of Myall Lakes, a 10 million year old World Heritage listed rainforest, the surf town of Byron Bay, diverse national parks with an abundance of wildlife and some great campsites.
In addition you get to explore the Brisbane to Airlie Beach drive which includes the Whitsunday Islands, Hervey Bay dolphin and whale watching, World Heritage listed Fraser Island.
The final leg is the Townsville to Cairns drive with Hinchinbrook Island, Magnetic Island (a koala haven), the waterfalls and natural swimming holes of Wooroonooran National Park before you arrive at last in Cairns with its beautiful offshore islands, the Great Barrier Reef, and the Daintree Rainforest.
With thirty hours of drive time, plus detours, this could be tackled in three weeks, but give yourself longer if you’d like to explore properly.
Cover photo: Cairns Lagoon by Claus Rind
Campervan Drop-off in Cairns
With Camperman, you can pick up your campervan at one end and drop it off at the other for no additional charge. Our Cairns depot is conveniently located near the airport at 440 Sheridan Street.
We shortlist the best campervan-friendly places to stay along the way in our online travel guides.
Cairns Caravan Parks
Cairns Caravan Parks vary in quality so we’ve shortlisted the best. Our recommendations earn at least four stars on Trip Advisor and Google.
- Ellis Beach Caravan Park – right on a natural beach 28 km to the north of Cairns right by beautiful Palm Cove and the scenic drive to Port Douglas.
- Palm Cove Tourist Park – Enjoy a five-star resort lifestyle without the price tag. 27 km north of Cairns on the way to Port Douglas and the north end of Palm Cove by the pier.
- Lake Placid Tourist Park – Surrounded by lush rainforest by a lake and river 17 km north-west of Cairns.
- BIG 4 Crystal Cascades Holiday Park – 15 km (20 mins drive) from Cairns in the rainforest by beautiful Crystal Cascades – a series of natural cascading waterfalls and swimming holes in the rainforest. Has a pool and great facilities.
- Coconut Holiday Resort – 8 km (14 mins drive) from Cairns, this place has a full range of facilities including a water park amongst mature trees.
- Cairns Holiday Park – In Cairns itself. It is a 2 km walk into the very centre of town, or jump on a bus. They run every 15 mins. This is the closest caravan park to the centre of Cairns. It has a pool, free WiFi, camp kitchen, and tour desk.