Coolangatta | Tweed Heads
Sydney to Gold Coast Drive
Day 15: Gold Coast
Coolangatta and Tweed Heads are at the quieter south end of the gold coast and is great for its surf, beaches, wildlife sanctuary, walks, and cafés. Our list of top things to do are all mapped at the bottom with red stars. Recommended Gold Coast caravan parks are marked with orange dots.
Cover Photo: View of Gold Coast from Coolangatta by Michael Dawes
11 Things to do in Coolangatta and Tweed Heads
1. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary: feed parrots, emus, kangaroos and other critters at this enormous and beautifully landscaped sanctuary that cares for injured and sick Australian wildlife.
2. Surf World: near the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary you can learn about Australia’s surf culture. The exhibits are beautiful and interesting.
3. Beaches: Surf, swim or laze on the sand. For the best surf head to the northern corner of Coolangatta Beach, the headland of Greenmount Beach, Snapper Rocks to Rainbow Bay and Duranbah (or D’Bah). Kirra, Greenmount and Coolangatta are good swimming beaches. Greenmount is the calmest, Kirra the least crowded, and Coolangatta the closest to restaurants and cafés.
4. Walk to Point Danger Lookout: Watch the surf talent, spot whales and dolphins, and take in the sweeping coastal views.
5. Get up close to dolphins and whales (May through October) on a whale watching tour with Coolangatta Whale Watch.
6. Fingal Head Lighthouse: is a short walk through coastal rainforest to the cliff top and the 1827 built lighthouse. Look out for dolphins and migrating whales.
7. Tweed River cruise and learn about the local wildlife and history. Tweed Endeavour Cruises offer a variety of cruises and receives nothing but rave reviews.
8. For some live music, check out the listings on the gig guide for Soundlounge in the Currumbin RSL.
9. Walk on Water boardwalk meanders across the Tweed River and through mangroves and forest. Adjoining Mingjungbal Aboriginal Cultural Centre offers guided tours and art.
10. At Tweed Heads historical Society you can learn about the fascinating heritage of the region.
11. Have a BBQ at the free gas BBQs on top of Kirra Hill. You’ll have stunning views up and down the coast that no restaurant can offer.
Copyright © 2019 Camperman Australia | All Rights Reserved